NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE IN THE 18th CENTURY
By the mid 18th century the population of Newcastle had risen to around 20,000. In the later 18th century the city spread beyond the walls and suburbs were created.
In the last part of the 18th century work began on demolishing the walls and the gates at Newcastle since they impeded traffic.
Although there was much poverty in Newcastle Upon Tyne in the 18th century (as there was in all cities) there were some improvements. In 1711 Newcastle gained its first newspaper. In 1736 an assembly room was built where balls were held and card games were played.
In 1751 an infirmary was built. In 1777 a dispensary was opened where the poor could obtain free medicines. In 1755 Newcastle gained its first bank.
After 1763 the streets inside the walls of Newcastle were lit by oil lamps and night watchmen patrolled them. (Although it is unlikely they were very effective).
A customs house was built in Newcastle in 1766. The Theatre Royal was first built in 1788.
In 1773-81 a new bridge was built over the Tyne after the Medieval one was destroyed by a storm.
In the 18th century private companies began providing piped water but only a small number of people could afford it.
For the well off life in Newcastle was more comfortable and more refined than before.
In the later 18th century the salt industry in Newcastle declined but a pottery industry began to flourish.